For more information on COVID-19 and vaccine eligibility please click here.
COVID-19 occurring in Chicago, South Shore Hospital is taking these cases of community transmission very seriously.
We are currently working on improving our processes to prevent the spread of respiratory diseases. We
are taking steps to promptly identify and isolate patients with possible COVID-19, including Triage and
Patient Placement. We are also reviewing relevant Infection Control Policies and Procedures, including
administrative rules/guidelines, environmental hygiene, correct work practices, and appropriate use of
PPE to prevent infections from spreading during healthcare delivery to suspected or confirmed COVID-19
patients. We will facilitate staff education and training regarding COVID-19.
For controlling infection, please be reminded of the following:
*WEAR A MASK OR FACE COVERING.
- Follow strict hand hygiene guidelines: Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Use hand sanitizer when soap is not available.
- Practice social distancing: Put 6 feet distance from each other. Avoid shaking hands or hugging.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or face, particularly with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of respiratory illness, please stay home. The best way to stop the spread of any illness is to stay away from heavily populated areas when ill.
- Anyone exhibiting signs of fever, cough or respiratory infection must wear masks. The wearing of
masks by the ill or possibly infected is essential in containing the spread of infection.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces frequently.
- If you are very ill call your doctor prior to coming into the hospital, so that proper precautions can
Based on CDC’s Information for travel, South Shore Hospital is implementing precautions to South Shore Hospital employees who have traveled to countries affected by COVID-19.
Effective immediately and until further notice, anyone who travels to a CDC Warning Level Country
or Region (see CDC travel website for up-to-date list) stay from South Shore Hospital for 14 days after return.
We will continue to keep you up to date as the COVID-19 guidelines continue to evolve.